Here is a tax-smart way to make an impact to Medical University of South Carolina using your traditional or Roth IRA. The IRA charitable rollover (also called the Qualified Charitable Distribution, or QCD) is a great way to make a tax-free gift to Medical University of South Carolina and satisfy your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD). If you are not required to take an RMD but no longer itemize your deductions, then a QCD may be right for you as well.
How Do I Qualify?
The IRA charitable rollover (QCD) offers multiple benefits for making gifts from your traditional or Roth IRA.
- You must be 70 ½ years or older at the time of the gift.
- Gifts must go directly from your IRA to Medical University of South Carolina.
- Gifts must come from a traditional IRA or Roth IRA account.
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor per year.
Benefits of an IRA Charitable Rollover Gift
- If you don’t itemize deductions and are not yet required to take your RMD, a QCD offers all of the benefits of an itemized income tax charitable deduction
- If you are age 72 or older and must take your RMD, a QCD can satisfy your RMD without increasing your income taxes.
- You may direct your gift to a program or area of your choice.
- It is a wonderful way to create an immediate impact on Medical University of South Carolina.
How can I make an IRA Charitable Rollover?
Contact your IRA administrator for their QCD distribution form and information on the procedure to make such a gift.